My girls group seems to have re-sparked after a couple Sunday meetings of dissapointing attendance. Yesterday´s meeting I brought in my friend and special guest, Dr. Sarah Gongora to give a charla on healthy relationships. The girls loved it! Sarah rocked and really got them to open up and talk about the qualities that all women deserve in a boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse. I had to break some sad news to them that our grant application for Kids to Kids was not accepted this cyle. I was really disheartened, as I was pretty confident we´d be accepted. I worked hard on that thing! We´ll resubmit and hope for the best…the girls were so excited about starting a Jewelry-making workshop. Anyway, we are moving on to other things and keeping our heads up. The group is organizing a soccer tournament for girls and boys teams throughout the cantón as a community event and a group fundraiser. The date has been set for May 22nd. We are currently working on invitation distrubution to see just how many teams we can round up. The MC girls are hot to play, after a recent confidence boost of winning 2nd place in a local tournament, beating rival team San Carlos. We will be selling pastelitos, fruit, and water on the big day to bring some money to the group. I love my Club Cheras, but we need regular commitment to sustain it. I´ll keep you all in the loop with how things progress.
Fomilenio has just opened a branch in Dolores! The goal of the organization is to stimulate the economy and promote growth in the poorest regions of the country using funds from the Milenium Challenge Account (http://www.mcc.gov/mcc/about/index.shtml) of the US. The organization has initiated a project in Dolores that trains locals to use cow horns to to create artisanal products like candlestick holders, belt buckles, pendants, etc. I think it´s a great initiative since the region has an abundance of cows and the material is easy to access, not to mention, something that usually gets discarded in the fields. Milagro, one of the organizers of the workshop which will take place every Wednesday afternoon, has informed me that free transport may be in the cards for the young women of my community, most of which are single mothers with no source of income. Hopefully, this upcoming week we will be able to start attending the workshop. Currently I have signed up 6 young women. I´m really excited; I think it will be an awesome opportunity!
At the end of this month, Peace Corps has a 3-day training scheduled for us in the Western part of the country. After the training it will only be a week until I turn (gulp) 24!? And one of my favorite people, Jaime Ulrich, comes down for a visit on the 7th! So fun times to come! Below is a picture of me with my winning girls soccer team! Felicidades mis cheritas! I hope you are all well….I´d like to send a shout-out to cousin Dave and his fiancee Vanessa! I love you both and am excited to have Vanessa as an offical part of the family! I´ll be at the wedding!!


¨For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.¨ Nelson Mandela
Kali,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad everything is going well down in MC. Sorry to hear about the grant, hopefully something will come about for the next submission.
I miss you kiddo. I e-mail a week or so ago, maybe you didn't receive it, i must resend it!
Like i always say i am so proud of you and all that you are doing. You truly are an amazing person.
PS i was reading your brothers comment on the previous post. Hilarious!
Miss you Mucho Mi Amor!!
Hi Kali! Hope you are enjoying the crazy family updates. Sebastian is moving into a new apartment and Thane is playing lots of soccer! Opening the cottages was great fun! glad you enjoyed the photos from your mom. Miss you!! Glad you're back in the swing! Hard after a big vacation. You look amazing and happy! Keep up all the great work. Love, A. Me
ReplyDeleteHey Kalibird! 24? Whaat! Pretty soon you'll be, like, old. (It is a state of mind.) So, you are back in work mode, I see teaching methods never seem to change. Teachers continue to be learners, too. Workshop is a great idea. NYC says hey! Made it to HAIR and Woodstock...flashback...40 yrs later. Stay well.
ReplyDeleteLove, Aunt Mitch