Hello dear blog followers, I am sorry I´ve been out of the loop for awhile. After 11 amazing days in Belize, I came home to a series of Holy Week-related celebrations and events and also a funeral of the mother of several of the children I´m close with. I was left feeling well....unsure of how I was feeling and maybe a little depressed and overwhelmed and now I can add sick and broke to the list. Anyway, school has been out since I got back from vacation, so I´m sure I will start feeling better as soon as I get back into my routine with my kids groups this week.
About Belize: Belize was a breath of fresh air. After so many months in a country with virtually no ethnic diversity, it was refreshing to see so many Blacks, Latinos Asians, Indians, and Europeans! Yeyyyy diversity!! There is a wonderful fusion of creolle, mayan, garifuna, and mestizo influences. The Belizean accent is beautiful...similar-sounding to that of a Jamaican. We (fellow Peace Corps Volunteer Sarah, her friend from LA Jacob, and yours truely) bunked down in Placencia for the whole vacation and just enjoyed getting to completely unwind, sit by the water, and wander the beachside walkway. Belize is expensive, especially by Salvadoran standards so we didn´t really do any tourist excursiony type activities apart from the must-do Snorkeling which was absolutely unbelieveable. We took some incredibly underwater pictures too!!! But sadly, my friend Sarah´s $400 camera was stolen right on our way to Belize City. Anyway, aside from that we didn´t have any problems. We ate some excellent sea food and met a lot of really cool travellers, including two bikers who were biking from the States all the way through Central America. We partook in some wild nights of Karaoke and drum circles on the beach. We were there long enough that by the time we left a lot of locals knew us by name. Also, by the time we left, I had about $4 to my name. Anyway, Belize was totally worth it and I would reccomend Placencia to anyone! Sadly, I need to be going now or I will miss my ride but I´ll do another update later....Above are a few fotos, more to come! Much love to you all! Hope you had a happy Easter!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Bean,
ReplyDeletethanks for your update! i've been checking daily to see if you had posted. I would imagine you hit the ground running upon your return to El Salvador.
The funeral must have been very sad for all concerned....
Belize looks and sounds beautiful. It surely was a much needed break for you. How great that you could unwind on the beach with friends. I'm really happy for you.
All is well in the Robinet household. My health is awesome, the kids are preparing for the end of school and lots of fun this summer. I'll write more in an email.
love you tons and miss you. we talk about you all the time -- and Lauren has your photo on her nightstand right by her bed. :)
Aunt Jane
Hey loser, glad to hear belize was a good time. Im sure, that country may never let you back in due to your super lame karaoke skills, but at least you had fun while you were there. Everything is good on the home front, Chuckie is gaining more wisdom every day, he likes cruising in my fly ride with me. I take my test this saturday, hopefully ill have better luck than you did. Schools p-retty lame, but theres alot of kayaking competitions coming up soon so BAM. Tell every body down there i say "Hola, Si-ombre". Mabey you could email me once in a century or two. Just another reason you such a good sistetr. (sarcasm) Ps. although the office was on a downhill slope wtih jim and pam being married with a baby, i saw an eppisode that literlly almost made me wet myself. I saw it on the plane to california and i was like laughing for like 5 minutes to myself...i killed any chances i had with the hott girl two seats over.
ReplyDeleteKali,
ReplyDeleteHey there! I wanted to jump on and see/read all your updates from the last time I "blog- stalked" you!
Belize looks amazing! I read a couple of your other blogs and, yeah... I teared up. It's just amazing all the things you've seen and the projects you're working on.
I'm glad to hear you were able to get a way for a "breathe of fresh air" and enjoy all the culture and sites! Everyone needs to sit back, relax and take in the beauty around sometimes!
Take care and I'll continue checking in on updates and just to say hey! :)
- Vanessa